Passage: Hebrews 10:26–31
1. Who is this text addressing?
Us – the church body gathered together
2. What is the problem being addressed?
Apostasy – a rejection of Christ that follows a profession of faith, an abandonment of the gospel
3. What is the danger at stake?
4. How do we avoid that danger?
- Keep the commands in the previous passage:
- “Let us…” worshipfully enjoy God’s presence
- “Let us…” cling to Christ alone
- “Let us…” live in Christian community
- Pursue the opposite of the problem:
- Humble contrition and repentance instead of "going on sinning deliberately"
- A life of new covenant worship
- Exalting the Son of God
- Honoring as holy his blood
- Pleasing the Spirit of Grace
"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
But in Christ we need not fear, for his sacrifice covers and cleanses us from our sins!