July 21, 2019 Preacher: Peter Ambler Series: the book of Hebrews
Passage: Hebrews 10:26–31
1. Who is this text addressing?
Us – the church body gathered together
2. What is the problem being addressed?
Apostasy – a rejection of Christ that follows a profession of faith, an abandonment of the gospel
3. What is the danger at stake?
4. How do we avoid that danger?
- Keep the commands in the previous passage:
- “Let us…” worshipfully enjoy God’s presence
- “Let us…” cling to Christ alone
- “Let us…” live in Christian community
- Pursue the opposite of the problem:
- Humble contrition and repentance instead of "going on sinning deliberately"
- A life of new covenant worship
- Exalting the Son of God
- Honoring as holy his blood
- Pleasing the Spirit of Grace
"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God."
But in Christ we need not fear, for his sacrifice covers and cleanses us from our sins!
More in the book of Hebrews
March 15, 2020Hebrews 13:20-25
March 8, 2020Hebrews 13:17-19
March 1, 2020Hebrews 13:7-16